Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Morning Stars

I only added 2 new stars to the bunch this week, but I did get several stars pieced together.  


And since we're on the road I don't have a good photo.

I did sort through all my diamonds and removed all duplicate fabrics.  I made a starter kit for a friend who has always loved my star quilt and wants to start sewing.  I'm going to give it to her tonight as a thank you for watching my girls. 



Wednesday, July 23, 2014

WIP Wednesday

I have 2 more baby quilts in the works for the Brain Rehabilitation unit.  I have one partially quilted and another flimsy ready to be quilted. 



 
I love the little elephants on the backing.
 
I am linking up with WIP Wednesday.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Baby Quilt

I finished up one of the baby quilts I started a few weeks ago.  It is quilted, bound and washed up, ready to be taken to the brain rehabilitation injury unit at Unity Hospital.  My Dad spent time in this unit after he fell last summer.  There were several children there who had suffered brain injuries or had just had brain tumors removed.  I have decided that I am going to give back to this unit for all they did for my Dad and all they do for brain injury patients and brain tumor patients.  



The quilt measures 36 x 36 and was made using Bella solids which i purchased for a solids challenge but was never able to participate in and the white is leftover from the brain cancer quilts that I made for my immediate family.  I purchased the giraffes at my LQS.  The binding is scrappy leftovers from the churn dash block and the backing.  

For those that are new to my blog, my Dad was diagnosed with primary brain cancer in March 2013 and had his tumor removed shortly thereafter.  He is currently doing really well and shows no signs of tumor regrowth.

Birthday Present

My Brother in Law turned 40 last week and we will see him this coming weekend at a family gathering.  There was a great flash sale at Fat Quarter Shop where all their collegiate fabric went on sale 60% off.  I scooped up a bunch of WVU fabric to make his quilt as well as one for his brother when he turns 40 in 2 years.  I am pretty sure I will have enough fabric to make a quilt for my husband as well :)





It's a perfect snuggle under lap size quilt.  My quilt holder was so excited to "make the blog" even with her split open chin.




Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Morning Star Count

I am up to 36 stars.  I made 3 new stars this past weekend and had 5 other stars which I had not blogged about.  We have been at the cottage on weekends and despite the still frigid water my children still want to swim all the time.  Instead of turning a little blue I have been sitting on the dock sewing stars while they are swimming.


Clockwise from top: blue and gold fabrics from the quilt I made for my Brother in Law's 40th Birthday present, Posy fabric used to line the inside of American Girl Sleeping bags I made for my girls, Me and My Sister's fabric used in the border of a quilt I made for myself and have to quilt up.


Clockwise from top: Bella pink used in a baby quilt for a friend, Honey Honey fabric used ot back my daughter's 3rd birthday quilt, Me and My Sister's fabric used to back Brain Cancer quilts for my entire immediate family, Lavender reproduction fabric used in my Mother in Law's 60th Birthday present.

I am linking up with Monday Morning Star Count.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Quick and easy baby quilt

I purchased fabric several years ago for a solids challenge and was not able to participate due to other commitments.  The fabric sat and has been taking up space in my closet without a plan. I was able to use up some pinks and black in another quilt earlier this year.

I had a boatload of off white leftover from the Christmas quilts that I made for my family and was able to cut it up to make 4 baby quilts.  

I finished 2 flimsies and was able to get 1 quilted with te binding sewn on tonight.  I was even able to use scrap batting!!


The backing is some Savvanah Bop that I found at my LQS...very surprised given the age of the fabric (2011!).


Saturday, June 21, 2014

A finished flimsy :)



I totally miscounted when I made my 48-4 patches....I needed 96 so there was a bunch more sewing (and a sewing room/office redo in between).  The quilt is 6 blocks by 8 blocks and I had forgotten to account for the 2 four patches per block ��. At least I have extra fabric