Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Finished Baby Quilt

I bought a bunch of solids a few years ago for a solids challenge. I was able to participate due to some other commitments/conflicts, so the fabric sat in my stash. I saw a great churn dash quilt pattern in Camille Roskelley's new(ish) book Simply Retro and loved it. I decided to use up some of my solids for a quick and simple baby quilt. I backed it in minky, a first for me. I'm not 100% happy with how the quilting turned out. I didn't use batting because the baby is coming in April and lives down south...not exactly ideal for a baby quilt backed in minky with batting, so I didn't use batting and the thread pulled some of the minky through the quilt top. There was no fixing, changing, altering no matter how hard I tried. It isn't really noticeable on the black part of the quilt, but it is noticeable in the pink and in some areas more than others. My husband thinks it looks fine and that we should give it to his friends for their baby...what do you all think?

 
Sorry for the indoor photos, it is way too cold in the Northeast to be outside taking pictures of anything right now...last I looked with the wind chill it was -35.
 

6 comments:

Jasmine said...

I love this quilt. If you decide not to gift it (which I think it is still great), you can send it my way! ;)

LA Paylor said...

how does minky wash? Same as cotton?
Well, I say, send it and tell them to use it, wash it, use it, and don't worry about using it up! I'll probably by the baby's favorite
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com

Sara said...

it will be great for the new baby since they probably won't even be able to get past how pretty it truly is;) The minky is an excellent choice. I have yet to use the yard I bought for a backing. Perhaps soon!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I think this is a beautiful quilt that will be really cherished, "mistakes" and all! The bright pink against the black is a color combo that will really grow with the baby.

Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Sweet Woodruff said...

I love the giant block. I made a black and white quilt once for a baby. I like the idea of a baby not growing out of a quilt so soon. Something they can use or hang on to for a couple of years out. And yes, stay inside. :) Stay warm and happy quilting!

Lisa C said...

I have seen the pattern for the extra large churn dash block before and liked it. Yours is very striking. I guess I'll have to search for it because now I "need" to make one!